When it comes to the issue of homework, there have been divided opinions for and against it. In the educational setting, assignments are most times regarded to as the proverbial sacred cow that should be handled with the utmost care. Although it has been around for ages, the issue of assignment is one that is not about to end so soon. Before going further, it is important to point out that assignments are not the same reading. While most parents see reading as a normal educational activity that can be enjoyed by anyone and as a family too, the same cannot be said about assignments.
As a matter of fact, over the years, the issue of homework has brought about tremendous stress to students, parents, and even teachers. There are assumptions that assignments are good for your brain and it is important to find out if that is true or it is merely a myth. Here are some fun facts about taking assignments home and should help you decide if they are good for your brain or not. They are as follows:
- Handing out assignments to students does not improve their educational outcome or result in any significant way.
- The amount of homework handed out to students increased from approximately 34% in 1981 to approximately 64% in 2002.
- There is no research to prove that homework increases students’ academic performances.
- Some parents believe that bringing assignments home means that their children are engaging in more learning.
- Too much assignments impact negatively on a student’s productivity and academic performances.
- It is quality teaching, not heavy assignment workload, that helps improve every student’s academic performances.
- Parental involvement works more magic on students’ performances than after school academic activities assigned by the class teachers.
- Starting the school’s day with a check of complete and incomplete assignments tend to have a negative impact on the students’ mood for the rest of the day.
From all the above listed fun facts about homework, it can then be rightly deduced that spending long hours dealing with one worksheet after the other, doing multiple colourings and engaging in other memory activities after school hours have little or no impact a student’s academic performances. As a matter of fact, a well-trained educator would tell you that saddling children with loads of assignments is an ineffective way of learning and as a result, learning rarely occurs. Therefore, it’s much more effective to get some rest, while ordering online test help from the professionals.